The Instrumentation Specialist will be responsible for the installation, repair, calibration and troubleshooting of CINRG laboratory instruments in the field. Other responsibilities will include aiding in the design of new instrumentation and assembly of instrumentation.
- Install laboratory instrumentation at customer facilities.
- Perform calibrations on installed instrumentation.
- Provide training on instrument operation to customer’s technicians.
- Troubleshoot existing instrument installations either at customer site or by remote means.
- Aid in the design and assembly of existing and new laboratory instrumentation.
- Other duties and activities as appropriate and necessary.
- Completion of a four (4) or five (5) year apprenticeship program in industrial instrument repair preferred.
- Post-Secondary diploma in industrial instrumentation technology preferred or alternatively an electrical engineering degree.
- Four (4) to six (6) years of work experience preferably in commercial laboratory setting.
- Industrial instrument mechanic trade certification preferred.
- Background in Physics.
- Basic Understanding of Electrical Wiring – AC main circuits.
- Understanding of digital electronics.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft OS (Windows 95 to Windows 10).
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office (especially Excel and PowerPoint).
- Understanding of serial communications (particularly RS232).
- Be able to create and read technical drawings (ability to use CAD type software an advantage)
- Be able to create and read basic circuit diagrams.
- Be able to solder accurately and assemble custom cables.
- Be able use most functions of a multi-meter to test relatively simple electronic circuits.
- Be comfortable using tools that are typically used in the assembly of instrumentation cabinets.
- Be able to create written documents for instrument manuals and laboratory work instructions.
- Strong management, delegation, planning and leadership skills.
- Works accurately and pays attention to detail.
- Ability to apply a logical and step by step approach to problem solving.
- Strong communication and problem solving skills.
- Able to create alternative solutions to problems.
- Excellent time management and project management skills.
- High level of sound and independent judgment and reasoning.
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Able to work well under pressure.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- Ability to comprehend and communicate detailed instructions orally and in writing.
- Ability to multi-task and establish priorities.
- Exhibit initiative, responsibility and flexibility.
- Positive Attitude.
- The position will require a good deal of travel and the ability to work at customer laboratory sites globally (applicant will require a valid passport and ability to travel to the USA, South America, Europe and Asia).
- Overtime as required.
- Safety equipment will be required, e.g. steel-toed safety boots, safety glasses/goggles, etc.
- Safety equipment will be required, e.g. safety glasses/goggles, etc.
- Hazards associated with laboratory environments.